same day
roadworthy certificates

in your area

Victorian Roadworthy Centres are Vicroads authorised Licence Vehicle Testers, providing Roadworthy Inspections and Certificates.

To book in a no fuss roadworthy phone 1300 558 115 and speak to someone who cares. Guaranteed human every time!

Vehicle Registering

Information about Registering a vehicle

Below is the requirements for registering or transferring a motor vehicle, prior to doing that you require a roadworthy certificate.

This information relates to registering a car, motorcycle, motor trike or truck up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) which has:

* never been registered or has previously been registered only in Victoria, or not been written-off.


A vehicle can only be registered in a single private name or in the name of an incorporated body.

The minimum age at which a person may become the registered operator will vary depending on the type of vehicle:

  • light vehicle or trailer (4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass or less) – 17 years
  • motorcycle – 17 years and 9 months
  • heavy vehicle or trailer (Over 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) – 18 years

Make an appointment

If you are the previous registered operator and the vehicle details have not changed, the vehicle will not need to be inspected but you will need to attend a VicRoads office to register the vehicle.

An appointment (at no fee) is still required to have the vehicle re registered.

To make an appointment call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm).

If you are not the previous registered operator or the vehicle details have changed, you will need to make an appointment to have the vehicle inspected at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.


You will need to pay the following fees to register your light vehicle:

If you supply evidence that the vehicle was previously registered in your name you do not need to pay motor vehicle duty.

To make an appointment

  • call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm). You can pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard); OR
  • visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You can pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card.

When making an appointment you will be asked for the vehicle identification number (VIN), the engine number and, if applicable, the registration plate number.

Evidence of Identity

On the day you register the vehicle you need to bring your current Victorian driver licence/permit. If you cannot provide this you will need to bring original evidence of identity documents. You must provide:

  • one primary evidence document (eg. Australian birth certificate or current passport)
  • one secondary evidence document (eg. Medicare card, credit/account card, student identity card, bank statement)
  • evidence of residence (if not indicated in the primary or secondary documents)

One of these documents must have your signature on it.

Number plates

Following registration, the number plates must be attached to the vehicle before it may be driven. New number plate screws are not provided so it is suggested you retain the screws from the previous plates.

The previous plates may be reissued to the vehicle if you were the last registered operator and the registration has not been cancelled for more than 12 months. A plate fee still applies. If the registration has expired by more than 12 months, the previous plates can be reissued as custom plates (at an additional charge) if the plate number has not been assigned to another vehicle or person.

NOTE: Under section 9B of the Road Safety Act 1986, the transfer of a vehicle to a new registered operator does not provide evidence of title or ownership to any motor vehicle or trailer.

Cancelling or changing your appointment

If you want to change an appointment you will need to pay another appointment fee.

The test fee can be transferred to a new time (or refunded if the test is cancelled) if 24 hours notice is given.

What to bring

  • the vehicle (if an inspection is required)
  • evidence of identity
  • evidence of ownership (contract of sale or receipt showing the VIN and the engine number; name, address and signature of previous owner; name and address of the new owner)
  • a current Certificate of Roadworthiness
  • if you have appointed an agent to act on your behalf, a signed letter of authority quoting your Victorian licence number

Driving a vehicle to a place of registration

All unregistered vehicles must have an unregistered vehicle permit to be used for any reason on the road.

Prior to registration, you will need to obtain an unregistered vehicle permit if the vehicle needs to be driven for the purpose of obtaining repairs or a roadworthy certificate.

Follow Us


Issue of Certificates

In Victoria a Certificate of Roadworthiness is generally required when a vehicle is sold or if a used vehicle is to be re-registered. This helps minimise the number of poorly maintained vehicles on the road. In some cases a Certificate of Roadworthiness is also required to clear a Vehicle Defect Notice or a Notice of Unroadworthiness.

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station.