same day
roadworthy certificates

in your area

Victorian Roadworthy Centres are Vicroads authorised Licence Vehicle Testers, providing Roadworthy Inspections and Certificates.

To book in a no fuss roadworthy phone 1300 558 115 and speak to someone who cares. Guaranteed human every time!

Buying and Selling Vehicle

Selling a vehicle

When you sell a vehicle you need to complete the Seller portion of the Vehicle Registration Transfer form. You can also get this form from any VicRoads Customer Service Centre or by calling VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon - Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm)

You can sell a vehicle in two ways:

  • with a Roadworthy Certificate (RWC)
  • without a RWC by cancelling the registration and removing the number plates

Appointment of an agent to act on your behalf

Whether your vehicle is registered or unregistered you can appoint an agent to act on your behalf. You will need to provide VicRoads with the following information:
An original letter with your:
  • full name
  • address
  • drivers licence AND

The letter must state the name of the agent and authorise them to either:

  • sign the Seller (Disposer) section of the Vehicle Registration Transfer form or
  • sign the original receipt or Contract of Sale

Buying a vehicle

When you buy or acquire a vehicle that is registered, you will need to transfer the registration into your name and lodge the relevant documents with VicRoads within 14 days. Generally, you will need to supply the following information to VicRoads:

Where can I purchase a VIP?

For all VIP purchase enquiries call VicRoads on 13 11 71, Mon - Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am – 2.00pm or by visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre, Mon – Thu 8.30am – 4.30pm, Fri 8.30am – 5.00pm

Purchase a Vehicle Information Package (VIP)

If you are planning to buy a second hand vehicle, a quick and easy way to obtain important information prior to purchase is to get a Vehicle Information Package (VIP).
A VIP is a package of information issued by VicRoads that provides vehicle buyers with a detailed record (excluding private information) about any Victorian registered vehicle, giving potential buyers peace of mind and enabling them to make an informed purchase decision. A VIP provides the latest information recorded on VicRoads systems including:

  • Written-off vehicle damage reported for the vehicle, including the date, type and severity of damage where applicable
  • Whether VicRoads has been notified that the vehicle is reported as being stolen
  • Whether the registration is current, expired, suspended or cancelled
  • The Vehicle Identification Number/chassis number and engine number
  • The make, body type and year of manufacture
  • The number of times the vehicle has been transferred, and the postcodes where it has been garaged within Victoria
  • Whether any financial institution, enforcement agency or individual has a registered security interest over the vehicle.

Follow Us


Issue of Certificates

In Victoria a Certificate of Roadworthiness is generally required when a vehicle is sold or if a used vehicle is to be re-registered. This helps minimise the number of poorly maintained vehicles on the road. In some cases a Certificate of Roadworthiness is also required to clear a Vehicle Defect Notice or a Notice of Unroadworthiness.

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station.